Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Finish It!

I often have problems finishing things that I've started. The reasons vary, but the three most common reasons to leave something unfinished are biting off more than I can chew, getting distracted by other things/ running out of time, and--the most frustrating for me--not meeting my own (often ridiculous) standards of perfection.

This third reason is my personal nemesis for many projects that I've started, including the project that--if I manage to get over my mental block--I will finish today. Even blogging today was difficult, even though it is unrelated to the project that I'm trying to finish. I am fighting a battle to finish the project, partly because once done, it will be over. I'm ready to move on to a new project, yet the idea of this project being over is saddening. To finish creates a sense of closure and I'm blocked about getting there. Even though I will feel so much better once I've completed the task, I still worry that it's not as good as it could be...my own personal "Thanotopsis" which I could revise and tweak for years if left to my own devices. Thank God for deadlines.

As a wonder about the nature of procrastination, I find myself seeking verification for the fact that William Cullen Bryant revised his poem numerous times before the final version. It's a fact that I knew to be true, but felt suddenly compelled to verify. A distraction from the fact that my next task is to finish my project. It's amazing how the mind works to push you in one direction and hedge your insecurities. Perseverance will win out--I am going to finish right now. After I check just one last thing...

No comments:

Post a Comment